The Transition Town Movement
The Transition Movement is comprised of vibrant, grassroots community initiatives that seek to build community resilience in the face of such challenges as peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis. Transition Initiatives differentiate themselves from other sustainability and “environmental” groups by seeking to mitigate these converging global crises by engaging their communities in home-grown, citizen-led education, action, and multi-stakeholder planning to increase local self reliance and resilience. They succeed by regeneratively using their local assets, innovating, networking, collaborating, replicating proven strategies, and respecting the deep patterns of nature and diverse cultures in their place. Transition Initiatives work with deliberation and good cheer to create a fulfilling and inspiring local way of life that can withstand the shocks of rapidly shifting global systems.
It all starts off when a small collection of motivated individuals within a community come together with a shared concern: How can our community respond to the challenges and opportunities of peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis? This small team of people begin by forming an initiating group and then adopt the Transition Model with the intention of engaging a significant proportion of the people in their community to kick off a Transition Initiative. They start working together to address this BIG question:
“For all those aspects of life that our community needs in order to sustain
itself and thrive, how do we significantly increase resilience (in response
to peak oil), drastically reduce carbon emissions (in response to climate change)
and greatly strengthen our local economy (in response to economic instability)?”
Courtesy of the Orion Magazine
- Learn more about the global Transition Town movement here and here.
- View the U.S. Transition page.
- Read about the Permaculture Institute and basic permaculture principles.
- The Transition Initiative Primer summary (pdf).
- Buy Rob Hopkin’s The Transition Handbook; watch his summary.
- Interview (YouTube) with Transition Town founder Rob Hopkins.
- Watch Richard Heinberg’s YouTube lecture series on Resilient Communities.
- Watch Chris Martenson’s Crash Course on the intersection of economy, energy, and the environment.